In the US we affectionately know him as Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, or even Kris Kringle. What does everyone else call him around the world? While you may have trouble pronouncing it, you will get the idea. I was surprised to see that the image of our beloved bearer of gifts is mostly consistent all [...]
Capture the Colour! I was recently nominated by Wagoner’s Abroad to submit my photos to the Capture the Colour Photo Contest for 2013, put on by Travel Supermarket. The perimeters were simple; share your travel photos that capture the colours of Blue, Green, White, Yellow, and Red. I invite you to view the other contest submissions as well, [...]
The faces of the Costa Concordia salvage… It’s lunch time in early September on Giglio Island, Italy. Two summers ago, you would have found the quaint Port of Giglio bustling with tourists. The grounding of the Costa Concordia cruise ship on January 13, 2012 that led to the tragic loss of 32 lives, has changed [...]
Love can be found in the craziest of places. It is no surprise that so many find it in the enchanting and romantic land of Italy. Being an American with an Italian partner, I frequently find myself in a conversation with another American that is also in a relationship with an Italian. The conversation inevitably [...]
“Mommy, would you like to read my journal of dreams?” My nine year old daughter loves to write. She seems to bring me a new story every day. I love getting lost in her fantastical tales of animals, children, and fairies. This day was different. She handed me a book that read “Dare to Dream” [...]
At home, we don’t often hold our kids accountable for jobs and other responsibilities around the house. Let’s face it – it’s easier to not deal with the whining. Travel is a perfect time to implement new family rules or changes – we’re all out of our comfort zone, and while we’re not in our [...]
Rarely is an excuse needed to travel to Italy, and the central region of Tuscany is a much-loved tourist destination all year round. As the summer draws to an end and the leaves on the trees begin to turn a shade of golden brown, Tuscany really comes to life, with festivals and celebrations all revolving [...]
When you are speaking to an an Italian, it won’t be long before they throw an expression at you. It always starts with something like, “In Italy we say…,” then they go into the translation, the meaning, and the relevance to the conversation. I love this about Italians! My partner, Tommaso and his family own Bellavista Impruneta, a [...]
I was lucky enough for my last etiquette post to get so much attention. It was entitled Top 25 Airplane Etiquette Rules- Don’t Ever Fly Again Without Them! Based on the heated discussion in the comments, I can see that I hit a sore spot with a lot of people. In light of recent events, I feel [...]
I have a new obsession with Pinterest. It’s travel photographer porn! It’s not what you think. I don’t spend endless hours pinning photos on my boards or anything like that. My obsession is actually finding the places I discover on Pinterest. When I first saw photos of the Peacock Room, I decided to create a little [...]
You are in Tuscany, you have to ask yourself about seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Is it worth it? Seeing that tower of Pisa is practically a rite of passage for a tourist in Italy! I know, I’m usually sharing about immersion travel, not touristy, crowded places travel. I even write about How to [...]
Subscibe! Don't ever miss a post!
Welcome to Capturing la Vita! Immersion Travel is about bridging authentic connections between travelers and communities. Through our tours, our blog, and our images- we EXPLORE the locations we visit, EXPERIENCE the culture, and ENGAGE with the local people. Travel with us ~ Virtually or Around the Globe! Allow the world to become your second home.
- Top 25 Airplane Etiquette Rules- Don’t Ever Fly Again Without Them! April 2, 2013
- Culebra Island, Puerto Rico- A Tropical Dream Vacation on a Budget January 30, 2013
- My 8 Favorite Secrets of Florence, Italy- You Don’t Want to Miss March 17, 2013
- My Unexpected Life as a Travel Blogger- Celebrating My First Year July 21, 2013
- A Mom and 3 Kids Working in Tuscany! Wait, Working? June 3, 2013
- Forty Things I’ve Learned in Italy November 19, 2013
- Italian Memories, a Poppy, and a Transistor Radio November 10, 2013
- Exposing children to the arts- An Open Letter to Fine Art Museum Directors October 30, 2013
- Capture the Colour- Italian Style October 3, 2013
- The Faces of Salvage- Recovering The Costa Concordia and Giglio Island September 11, 2013
- Colleen Lanin: Oh. Now I have to move to Italy....
- Colleen Lanin: Love this post on the names for Santa! Tweeted &am...
- Allison: I enjoyed the translations. All the different desc...
- wanderingeducators: What fun! And cool names!...
- Laurel Perry: Thank you so much, Sondra. Most all beaches are li...